Saturday, June 28, 2008

About This Blog


This trip was a belated honeymoon for my husband and me. We got married a couple years ago but weren't able to travel until now. That means I had a lot of time to plan and obsessively research this trip. Jody, my husband, had always wanted to visit a troipcal island, and neither of us had ever been to Hawaii. Our idea of what a Hawaii vacation might be like came entirely from ads that picture a couple lounging in recliners outside their private grass-roofed hut on a deserted white sand beach, sipping Mai Tais delivered by a waiter. I quickly discovered that a vacation of that kind would probably run us about $1000 a day. Plus, we would have to stay in a resort (somehow I'd never connected the idea of a planned resort community with my mental image. I don't know where I thought the waiter was going to come from.) Once I realized that our fantasy of an island beach hut wasn't going to materialize (at least, not on our budget), I started looking at vacation rentals. Originally, I was thinking of going to the Big Island until I found out that sandy beaches aren't really the thing there. We wanted sandy beaches. So I switched my focus to Maui, but it seemed that the sandy beach part of the island was clogged with condos, strip malls, and resorts. I briefly considered Molokai, but decided it might be a little too remote. Finally, I took a look at Kauai and went "aha!". This was exactly what I'd been looking for.

I immediately immersed myself in a search for vacation rentals and began visiting the Kauai forum on Tripadvisor. I had so many questions: where to stay, what to pack, when to go... it was so helpful to hear about other people's experiences. I decided that when I returned I would make a blog of our trip in the hope it might help others who are planning theirs. So here it is, for what it's worth. I hope it's a useful resource for you. If you have questions or comments, click on the "comment" link below the post. Or email me.

Mahalo for visiting. Enjoy.

No comments: